Worked out pretty well…

Yesterday I got as far as ripping the toe off Franklin’s wounded sock before the light failed. It was clear that I did not want to go any further without good light.

This morning, I had to decide whether to just pick up what I had or try to rip back one more round. I started trying the ripping back in one slightly odd spot. It was really odd! As I ripped, the yarn that I was pulling out suddenly showed up a row lower. No idea what went on there! I put all the stitches on needles and studied them. I think they were all properly related, though I’m not sure. Also, the mild felting looked as though it would not let any stitches escape. So I just looked at the other toe to see what the shaping looked like and started knitting with a miscellaneous nylon-rich sock yarn I’d found yesterday.

Here are the toes of the two socks after I was done:

Repaired 1

Franklin was thrilled that he couldn’t immediately spot the new toe. It actually feels a bit more different than it looks, but I think it will be OK. Here’s a view that gives a bit of an idea why these were worth preserving. Franklin is very fond of these. They were knit some time in 2007 – pre-Ravelry so I don’t have much more notion than that.

Repaired 2

All in all, this was a satisfying experience.


About Knitterly Anne

A knitter for many years, I have become increasingly involved with designing knit patterns in recent years. Other interests include my lovi
This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Worked out pretty well…

  1. Meg says:

    Yay! You saved them!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s