I thought it might be interesting to follow the progress of this pattern in some detail here on my blog. This is the pattern I mentioned on Friday. I started knitting the first prototype today, and here is a picture of it:
This is a try at a version for Serena, my 22″ doll – known as 1/3 scale, so I frequently use that as a way to make a first shot at figuring out sizing. The first thing I noticed about this sample was that it is much too stiff. That’s because, for doll clothes, I have frequently found that making too loose a fabric is very unsatisfactory, so I chose a small needle in relationship to the yarn. But for this shape, it’s not a good idea.
The pale green part is the front button band. This idea is to have a button band that goes down to the Empire waist and no further. Held up to my model, I like that part. Then I put in a vertical stripe with a gusset below the Empire line. I can’t decide whether the gusset is too large for the number I plan on having – I think every vertical stripe will have one. I think I will make the short row turns a bit farther apart on the next round. Next to the vertical row is a horizontal one with increases for bust shaping. Then another vertical stripe with gusset, this one stopping at the armhole.
Aside from the things mentioned above, I think I like it – at any rate enough to make a second try. It needs to be a bit bigger in most dimensions, but I think the increase in needle size to get more drape will probably be enough for that. So I’m planning to pretty much follow the same path as last time only with a larger needle. We’ll see how that goes.