For a lot of years I didn’t block what I knit. Of course, back then I was mostly using acrylic, and it’s a whole other deal blocking acrylic. Not too long ago, I knit a lace scarf and it became clear that blocking was in order. Scarves are easy to block, and the value was so obvious that it convinced me that I should think about blocking other things.
Not that I now block everything! I never even think of blocking socks, for instance. They do get washed and laid flat to dry – maybe that counts? I haven’t made any sweaters recently, but when I do I will definitely block them. One of the things I have not till now blocked is doll clothes. I knit a top this weekend that curled a lot when I tried it on my girl, so I decided to block it. Here’s the top blocking.
I wish I had thought to take a “before” picture. Oh, well, at least I have “during”. This shows the design of the top really well. It’s knit side to side, with a stitch that involves slipping stitches with the yarn alternately in front of and behind the work. There are also short rows at the bottom of the main color rows to give it flare. Although this is such a small version, this would serve well as a proof of concept for a girl’s top using a very similar design.
The blocking worked out great. When I took it off and sewed the shoulders, I had a top that hung much better than before. Here is the top, modeled by my new doll Louise. Abby has been generous enough to lend her socks, leggings and headband to Louise, and is using her shawl on her head. The top is turned so that it looks like a v-necked pullover.
And here is Louise by herself. The top has been turned around to act like a cardigan and the headband is seeing service as a sash.
Just when you thought I was finally done with doll clothes! Well hopefully I will be on to other things soon.