Well, I’m not at all sure that I like this, but I am continuing with my iPad Cozy. It’s currently blocking (sort of) and looks like this:
This is the part that will cover the back, plus the little edges, which have slits in them wherever there are controls, etc. on the edges of the iPad. The colors are not all that good together, but I had them around. I think that if this works pretty well but not quite right I will make another using actual log cabin style work for the back.
You may not be able to see, but there is a complex pattern on the square in the center, then the four edges were knit in K1b, P1 ribbing (unfortunately back and forth, so the wrong side rows were actually K1, P1b which is not super-fun). Then I did a purl round, using p2tog at the beginning and end of each of the four sides to allow for the rounded corners. Then I did four rounds of knit, including the slits, then another purl round. And then the blocking. I think the front will be about an inch of mitered K1b, P1 ribbing. That’s the key part to see whether it actually fits or not. I hope I will have a chance to get back to this soon (but it needs to dry first.)