Here are the last three items that were completed in 2010. The first of these is a pair of socks for Franklin, my husband. I hadn’t made him any socks for a while and it was definitely his turn. At the same time, Meg decided to start carrying a luscious merino / cashmere / nylon in a nice light-fingering weight. I asked Franklin if he had a color preference, and he requested “something bright.” So I decided he would get some Blaze socks.
I remembered a pattern stitch that I had seen somewhere (not sure where) that consisted of small squares of garter and stockinette alternating. I’m not sure if this is the exact stitch or not, but I love how it worked out. I also threw in one of the gussets I started using on Show-off Stranded socks. This time I went with a garter gusset, outlined with slip stitches. And I threw in the sole shaping, since Franklin also has a high arch. The yarn feels fantastic, and the socks as a whole were a great success. Franklin’s wearing them today, I was glad to see.
The last two items of the year were Christmas presents that I suddenly decided to knit at the beginning of December. The first is a hat that I made for Hazel. I had got a single skein of Duchess in Octarine a while ago, planning to make a hat for me. When I decided that I needed to make Hazel a hat, I grabbed this skein. Whenever I make a hat from an Evolution skein, I start at the top, because I really don’t want to end before the last color shows up. I experimented unsuccessfully a time or two, then decided to use another pattern as an example, which gave me the idea that I needed eight sections. The pattern used markers to separate the sections, but since I hate them, I decided to slip stitches instead. Then i invented a pattern of stockinette stitch bands with reverse stockinette and garter bands interspersed between them. I like the way the crown shaping came out. (By the way, I used Emily Ocker’s cast on to start and really like the way it ended up.) Here it is:
Then I started on a pair of fingerless mitts for Tobias. He had indicated that he would like to try some, so I thought about what he would like for a while. I didn’t want to make the pattern very plain, so I hunted for some fairly plain yarn and found some Dublin in Arial left over from some socks I made a while ago. When I saw that color, I was inspired to try to create a tree bark pattern. I came up with some rules for myself that told me how often I needed to shift stitches around per round and started to knit. I think I did a pretty decent job of reproducing bark. To give Toby a clue as to what he was seeing, I included a photo in the box:
Tomorrow I will show you a couple of projects that are blocking at this point. Then I’ll move on to what I’m currently knitting. I have lots of projects underway and ideas for lots more. See you soon!