You guessed it! There are now two fingerless mitts. I spent most of yesterday working on it, but it was worth it. Franklin has been wearing them quite a bit – I’m hoping he will actually end up finding them useful. Here is an action shot – showing fingerless mitts as they’re meant to be used:
On the whole, I’m quite pleased with how they came out. I think the central cable is truly elegant. I enjoy how it grows out of the wrist pattern. And I also think the top effect (almost circular) came out surprisingly well. I didn’t use any tricky techniques, just plain cables with one P2 tog in the ribbing above the cable. But I don’t think the miniature cable on the sides really worked out – it just won’t fit on the back of the wrist. So, not bad but not a triumph either.
I also discovered a pattern by MMario called Boomerang. I really like this shape! The key here is that you increase every other row on one side while you’re decreasing every fourth row on the other side. I thought that shape wouldn’t work with an Evolution but might look great with a striping yarn. I had a skein of Juliet in Tasty, so I had to try it out. Here’s how it looks at this point:
I’ve varied from the pattern in several ways. First of all, I changed the increases from K1f&b at the edge to YOs inside the three garter stitch border. I also switched from stockinette with random garter ridges to sand stitch first. I then decided (just a few rows ago) that I would throw in an inner panel of purl garter stitch. We’ll see how that works out. But so far, I’m loving the shape of this.