Knitting Toby’s first gauntlet taught me quite a bit about Meg’s Yummy yarn base. It’s around DK weight – that is thickness. It feels absolutely superb to the touch, and it also has some real heft to it. I have a cake of Meg’s Maple colorway (from the last club) in Yummy, and I’d been vaguely thinking of knitting a shawl from it. But after using Yummy in a project, I decided that for my taste, I would prefer a cowl. But not a tube-shaped cowl. My neck is too short to make that practical. Instead, I wanted one of the cowls that spreads out over the shoulders. And I wanted something that would hug the neck.
I decided to try out some of the fascinating cables in Annie Maloney’s Aran Lace. I picked out three and tried them out and selected two to use in my cowl. They are number 12 – six stitches and six rows per repeat. I like it a lot. And number 44, which is 17 stitches by 12 rows. I did a little math and found that p1, k1, p1, cable 12, p1, k1, p1, cable 44 (29 stitches) would make a nice quarter of the width at the start of the pattern. I then arranged the stitches and figured out where I’d like to do increases after some ribbing and cut down to 104 stitches to start. So I cast on and knit for around 4 inches in K1, P1 ribbing, then started my pattern. I’ve been charting as I go in Excel, and am currently adding 4 stitches to each repeat every 6 rows, which is working out to be a nice smooth fit over the shoulders. I’ve currently knit about 65 grams with about 85 grams left.
My pictures are really bad, I’m sorry to say, but I’m going to post them anyway. Here’s how it looks with the ribbing spread out. I won’t wear it that way, but if I were really cold I could spread it over my mouth. This photo also shows the rest of my yarn. You can see the color change is pretty dramatic!
And here is a partial picture (I just couldn’t stand how I looked in this one) that I’ve captured so I can show people how it would look knit with various lengths of yarn. Because I think this would be a lovely little cowl if worked a couple more rows (to the end of two vertical repeats of the 12-row pattern) and bound off. But that’s not what I’m doing!