Today I finished the Gillaspie Gothic Gauntlets for Tobias. I really want to get some pictures of them on him, but until he drops by I will substitute a couple of other shots that demonstrate that there are now two gauntlets. With thumbs, no less.
First is this shot of the back of both gauntlets:
I discovered when I went to finish the second gauntlet that I had failed to follow a nice detail of the pattern. The stitch that’s repeated vertically a few times on the back of the hand is supposed to be reversed on the very top, and I just repeated it instead. (I don’t know what it is about knitters that makes us so inclined to deliberately point out mistakes we’ve made. But I know I’m not alone in doing so!)
And here is a shot designed to emphasize that these gauntlets are actually based on armor. We happen to have a shield in the house – left over from Halloween or some such – and I thought I’d really like to combine the gauntlets with the shield. This is what I came up with. (There’s also a shot that shows the whole shield, but you can’t see the gauntlets very well and this is a knitting blog, after all.) This shot shows the two sides of the gauntlets, which are very different, as well as a better view of a thumb.
The pair weighs 105 grams out of my 100 gram skein – there’s only a little bit left. Good thing Meg is generous with her skein sizes! It didn’t occur to me to consider whether there was enough yarn until I was about halfway through the second mitt, and my scale led me to believe that all was well. That was a comfort! The pattern was very entertaining to knit even for a second time, and I just love how they feel on.
In between the two gauntlets, while I was waiting to confirm the size, I worked on my Cabled Maple Cowl. (I got right back on the gauntlet once Tobias tried on the first one – proof that I love both him and those gauntlets, because I am really enjoying that cowl!) I took a couple of pictures of the cowl just before resuming work on the gauntlets. Hazel was over, and I wanted to see how it would work on her. At that point, it was still quite a good fit for her:
(That shot was taken in front of Franklin’s dresser. It belonged to my grandmother, who got it from an old friend of hers, Mrs. Strawbridge of the family that founded the Strawbridge’s Department Store in Philadelphia. That’s a picture of his Aunt Minnie, who was born sometime around 1905. And the eggs are pysanky-style eggs made by Meg. You can see that he loves color in things other than knitting!)
The cowl not much further along now – maybe an inch longer. The deep burgundy color is starting to show. And I’m trying to figure out what to do with the shaping since I’ve reached the tips of my shoulders now. I’m still increasing at the moment – a garment that binds around the shoulders is not good. But I think it’s almost time to cut back on the increases – I can’t possibly stop now. I still have some gorgeous color to add!
Hazel was wearing the pretty hat that I gave her for Christmas, with the little flowers on it, so I finally got some shots of her wearing that. This one shows the hat pretty well and shows Hazel even better. You can see that Franklin’s skill at modeling has been inherited by at least one grandchild!
I’m progressing with the cowl (at least when I’m not doing something like blogging!) Hopefully I will have more of it to show you soon. And then I hope to proceed with some of my other WIPs before I head on to pastures new. We’ll see how that goes.