I’ll start by showing you what I worked on all week at work last week – my Herbivore. When I last showed it, there was quite a lot of the central ribbed triangle, but just the very beginning of the ribbed triangles at the center front. And the color was just about solid. What I knit last week mostly was in a new shade – the original (in real life) is a gorgeous coral, and it’s now gently transitioning to a bright scarlet. I wish I could capture the colors! In this picture you can see that some kind of color change is taking place, and you can see that the outer triangles are well under way. And the rows are getting quite long already. Looking forward to the result.
From Thursday evening to last night (Monday) I’ve been working on knit samples for Meg’s club yarns that will be going out very shortly. Two colorways I’m looking forward to knitting! But today (I’m on vacation this week, by the way) I had the time to get back to my Ziprelaxagons. What a fun pattern! This morning I finished tier 3 and got my husband to take a few shots of the sock on my foot, because it fits my foot much better than the foot dummy. Here is one of those:
This view shows the two kinds of hexagons. The flat ones (at the toe) are the same ones as on the sole, but the three at the top here are the stretchy kind, with ridges. Love them, and love the marvelous details on this pattern. Kristen has given lots of ways to get the size right – I think these are going to work fine, but if they don’t it will be my fault, not hers! The tricks she uses to knit the whole foot without cutting the yarn are really ingenious and should be useful in all kinds of modular knitting. That’s one of the reasons I’m awfully glad I’m knitting this pattern. I also like how the colors are coming out. In this view, you can see that the early hexagons are mostly either orange or green, but this pattern is changing so that there are more of the combination type. (I think the stretchy kind of hexagon, which we’re working with from now on, because it has more rows is more likely to be a combo type.) I like them both ways.
So this afternoon, I went ahead and put in the heel. There’s one hex that goes under the heel and two that cover the back of the heel. What a difference it makes to the fit! I decided to just go ahead and get some photos at this stage on the sock dummy. Here’s the bottom of the foot:
Stretched out, this even fits the foot dummy pretty well. A highly entertaining knit, and I think I’m really going to like the socks, too! And it’s inspiring me to think about designing some more complex shapes. For some reason, I find myself wanting to knit a doll with quite a bit of shaping and minimal seaming. Don’t know that I will, but I think it would be fun.